You would want to own a dedicated server for the numerous benefits it offers. However, such a server brings along responsibilities. You have to take care of it; you have to manage it. How well equipped are you to look after your server?
When you decide to invest in a dedicated server, you can go for either the unmanaged server or the managed server. The terms are self-explanatory. The managed server is looked after by a hosting company. If you ask me, I would say go for this one if you don’t have the time, skills, and resources to manage your server.
We often tend to underestimate the enormity of the task of server management. Let me tell you the things you have to do keep your server running.
- You are responsible for installing any software on the server.
- You have to configure your server to suit your websites’ needs.
- You have to monitor the performance of your server continuously.
- You have to monitor the databases and update them regularly.
- You need to keep updating the operating system.
- You have to keep the anti-virus software and the firewall updated.
- You have to back up the data on server periodically.
- You need to keep the server applications updated.
- You should keep checking the applications for any failure.
- In case of a problem, you have to provide effective and on-time troubleshooting.
- You have to take security measures to detect and stop any kind of intrusion.
- You have to perform periodical audits to monitor your server’s security.
Yeah, it’s a long list but this is definitely a basic list of tasks. The management needs increase depending on the way you want to configure your server. So, make sure you understand your responsibilities before you go for an unmanaged server.