No actually. Why? Isn’t a dedicated server real good? Yes, it is. Then? Just because something is good does not mean you need it. Yeah, the dedicated server makes sense only if you really need it. How do you find out if you do? Answer the following questions, and you will know.
- Do you own a website whose traffic can no longer be handled by shared hosting?
- Do you own a web hosting business?
- Do you want to be in charge of the hosting of your website?
- Do you want to host multiple websites?
- Do you need a lot of disk space?
- Do you need to install several custom applications for your website?
- Are your bandwidth requirements high?
- Does unavailability of your website affect your business adversely?
- Are you looking for high-level security for your website?
Now, if your answer to most of these questions is ‘yes’, you definitely need the dedicated server. But are you ready for it? What does that mean? Well, you are ready for the dedicated web server if and only if:
- You can afford it. If you have the money, you should know that your investment is worth it. Your business benefits derived out of the server will outdo the cost of the server eventually.
- You can manage the server on your own. You must make sure that you have either the technical know-how to handle dedicated servers or you can afford managed hosting.
Small businesses may not need the dedicated server but medium businesses growing fast may do. Large businesses looking for high performance and customized service should definitely go for dedicated hosting.