Knowing the trend of visitors to your website is a major key to the success of any web-based project, whether it is e-commerce, entertainment, content or pure corporate presence on the Internet. Knowing the profile and preference of your users helps you design your website and offerings to match their preference and increase your chances of success for whatever activity you seek to achieve through the website.
Among the most standard and popular tools used for website analytics and research is Google Analytics. This tool is widely used since it provides a host of basic as well as advanced analytical reports for your website. Few of the areas for which Google Analytics provides reports are:
- About visitors – Geographic location, repeat visits, loyalty, time spent etc
- Traffic sources – Trends of traffic coming directly, through referring websites, search engines and online advertising campaigns
- Content – Popular web pages on your website
Google analytics provides these details and more, and that too free of cost!
Installing Google Analytics is a simple process. Here are the steps on how you can enable it for your own website.
Step 1: Generate the tracking code
- Open the Google Analytics website.
- If you have a Gmail or Google account, on the Google Analytics website click Access Analytics. Otherwise, click the Sign Up Now link to create a new account.
- On the Getting Started page, click the Sign Up button.
The Analytics: New Account Signup wizard will start.
- In this wizard, fill in the details about your website.
- At the end of the wizard, you will be provided with a tracking code for your website. Copy this code and save it in a text file on your computer.
Step 2: Add the code to your website
To track traffic and users on your website, the code that you just copied will need to open the HTML code of each and every web page on your website.
So, you must next paste this code within the <body> section of the web page code. You must paste this text either at the beginning or at the end of the <body> section.
Your job becomes easier if your website is based on a template. It this case, you may include the code in footer or header of the website template, to ensure that it appears on every page of your website.
Step 3: View the analysis data
When you sign in once again into your Google Analytics account after few hours, you will see your website enlisted. When you click on it, you will get access to a variety of reports provided by Google Analytics.
These reports provided by Google Analytics will help you make decisions pertaining to content and overall design of your website.