Virtualization is not a new concept in the computing world. It refers to virtual entities made of a tangible entity. Server virtualization is similar in concept. A server is virtually petitioned into several sections, allowing each section to work individually. The Virtual Private Server (VPS) is a result of server virtualization. I was looking for a proper definition of the term when I came across a definition in the Server Virtualization page of Tech Target. Here’s how the definition goes:
Server virtualization is the masking of server resources, including the number and identity of individual physical servers, processors, and operating systems, from server users. The server administrator uses a software application to divide one physical server into multiple isolated virtual environments. The virtual environments are sometimes called virtual private servers, but they are also known as partitions, guests, instances, containers or emulations.
Click here to access the definition page.
Virtualization of servers brings along several benefits for business. Let’s look at the major ones.
- Reduced costs: With virtualization, you buy less hardware, saving you on the costs of hardware purchase and maintenance. With less hardware, the power consumption is also reduced, saving money for your business.
- Increased security: Since the partitioned servers are isolated from one another, a problem in one does not affect the others, promising increased security. A virtual server has its use as a honeypot to trap viruses and other malicious programs.
- Testing environment: A virtual server works as an ideal testing environment because of its isolated nature. It acts as a sandbox for various tests.
- Space-saver: Virtualization of servers helps save space in data centers as the number of physical servers is much less than the number of servers that are being used.
- Availability: Virtualization assures high availability as one virtual server can take over when another is down.
- Continuity: Virtual servers support business continuity making recovery quick and convenient.
Come back tomorrow for more information from the world of servers and web hosts.