The shared server can fulfill your needs for as long as your web ambitions are not high. However, the dedicated server becomes absolutely necessary if your requirements have increased. Let’s look at the instances when the dedicated server becomes absolutely necessary.
- If shared hosting can no longer handle your website’s traffic, you need the dedicated server.
- If you own a web hosting business, you have to shun the shared server.
- If you want to take charge of the hosting of your website, you can do so only with the dedicated server.
- If you want to host several websites, the dedicated server is ideal.
- If you need a lot of disk space, beyond what shared hosting has to offer, you have to go for a server that is dedicated to you.
- If you want to install several custom applications for your website, you definitely cannot live with shared hosting.
- If your bandwidth requirements are high, you have to go for dedicated hosting.
- If your website is critical to your business, requiring it be available at all times, you need a dedicated server.
- If you are looking for high-level security for your website, you need dedicated hosting.
You not only need money to acquire a dedicated server but also the capability to manage it. If you cannot manage it in-house, you should be ready to hand over the management to a hosting company.
Wondering how to get a dedicated server? Check out an earlier post on how to buy a dedicated server.