Linux lovers will tell you that the Windows dedicated server is of no use. While a Linux server has its advantages, it may not work for you if your needs are different. There is one main reason you need a Windows server: you need to use Microsoft services. Yes, the Windows server works for you if you need the Windows platform to run Microsoft programs.
Windows dedicated server makes using MS Office services convenient. If you are looking at acquiring MS Office services on your server, you will have to go for the Windows dedicated server.
The server provides support for the following:
- MS VB, MS Access, and MS SQL – A Windows dedicated server provides support for databases built with Microsoft Access or Microsoft SQL. A Linux server will not be able to provide you with the support for such databases. A Windows-based server also provides support for Microsoft Visual Basic.
- .NET technologies – The .NET technology is a software framework developed by Microsoft. Therefore, Windows dedicated server is essential for websites that have been built with .NET technologies.
- Microsoft web development tools – Microsoft provides some easy-to-use web development tools like FrontPage and Visual Interdev. Only a Windows server can support these tools.
- Microsoft SharePoint services – For the purposes of information sharing, Microsoft has developed a service platform called SharePoint. The SharePoint services are accessible only through a server that runs the Windows operating system.
You get the idea. The Windows operating system is important for your server if you depend on Microsoft services.
- Advantages of Windows Dedicated Servers
- When Windows Becomes a Must for Your Server
- Why Windows Works as a Server OS
- Why You May Need a Windows Server
- Comparison of Linux and Windows as Server Operating System