Another year has come and gone, and it is the perfect time for you to tighten up the screws on your server and make sure everything is in working order. The following checklist should help you along the way.
- Run those updates – If you have been putting off updates, now is as good of a time as ever. You will have a fresh system to start the new year
- Check your backups – This assumes that you even have backups. If you do, you should do some test restores to make sure they are backing up your files correctly. If you can load a virtual machine and restore your backups there. You can tear down the VM when you are finished.
- Run security checks – Your server’s security should be a top priority. Run some vulnerability checks to make sure you start the new year without any major holes
- Purge old accounts – If you have old, unused accounts that will likely never be reactivated, go ahead and chuck them.
- Plan new projects – Now is a good time to set goals and road maps for next year. Go ahead and be ambitious.
The new year is coming fast. By starting it out right, you can ensure another successful year with your server.