To install software, do the following:
- Login to Webmin and click “System”
- Click the “Software Packages” module
- In the “Install a New Package” section, select the last option (On Debian, it will say “Package from APT”
- Click, “Search APT”
- In the new window, type in the name of the package and press Enter
- When you find the one you want, click it, and the popup will close and automatically fill in the package name in the original box
- Click “Install”
If all goes well, it will say “install complete”. You can then click “Return to module index” to go back to the beginning.
You can also install packages from a local file on your server, a file you upload from your computer, or directly from an FTP or HTTP URL.
To remove a package, use the first box at the top, type in the name to search for the package, select it, and then click “Uninstall”.
As you can see, using Webmin for package installation is a lot like using a graphical package manager frontend on a desktop computer. In the next part of this Webmin series, we will take a look at updating packages with Webmin.