A virtual private server (VPS) is a low-cost alternative to a full dedicated server. Using a VPS has a number of strategic advantages for small and medium sized businesses. Among those advantages are the following:
- Savings – Above all else, a business that is small or just getting started will need to find ways to save. If a dedicated server is out of your price range, a VPS is a good choice
- Root – You may not need the power of a dedicated server, but if you want administrative rights, shared hosting will not do. A VPS will give you superuser powers.
- Instances/Containers/Quick cloud installations – Most VPS systems allow you to quickly and easily create and tear down server instances or containers.
- Upgradeable – If your business is growing, you might intend to get a full dedicated server down the line. A VPS is a much smoother stepping stone than shared hosting would be.
- Efficiency – There is no point in wasting a whole dedicated server if all you really need are a couple of virtual machines for your websites. You can save space, money, and lower energy consumption. It is the responsible thing to do.
A VPS is good for business, and it is no surprise that many businesses are using them for one or more of their online operations.